Saturday, November 26, 2005

"It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas..." NOT!

So my beloved roomie, Donna, and I had an interesting and poignant reminder this evening:


After work this afternoon, I was privileged enough to be able to meet our own Jose Rodriguez's little sister, Beatriz, at the mall; after which, all three of us decided to take advantage of our surroundings, and indulge in a little "Christmas browsing" (no purchase necessary...YET!). It wasn't long until Donna-Wonna was released from her duties as well, and came to join up with all of us. Well, after the siblings Rodriguez bid their "good evenings" for the night, Don and I rushed back to one of the retail stores to purchase some early Christmas presents.

So this is where the story gets memorable: Donna and I are heading to the Customer Service desk to claim our prizes, when - upon approaching the desk - we noticed that one of the clerks was crying (she was attempting to compose herself, but it was OBVIOUS that something happened). As we make our puzzled way to the line, we notice a couple standing in front of us making a RAUCUS with all three clerks behind the desk b/c they felt they had been "affronted" when they were not assisted as promptly as expected. Things began to escalate when one of the other clerks began to "loose their cool" due to the matter, which resulted in a manager arriving to inquire after the problem.

Well, the couple went on and on and on and on about how much money they spent in the store, how they had been so rudely "ignored," "all they wanted to do was make a purchase," yadda-yadda-yadda-yadda... This unfortunate scenario continued for at least ten minutes, with all people within a twenty foot radius of the desk staring at the all-too-common "Holiday scene."

Why am I retelling this story, you ask? Because I felt really convicted while I stood there observing this sad scene. How often do I allow uncourteous comments and insensitive/flippant statements fly out of my mouth at the passing of some self-centered feeling? WAY too often... It's almost as if at certain choice moments, I revert back to my infant temper-tantrum stage, and ignore the fact that I just turned 26 this month. The Lord tapped me on the head tonight, saying: "I'm using this to teach you something very important, Jen."

Fellow brethren, as believers, our Master has called us to be separate from this world, and this includes everything from attitudes to appearance. Let us be exhorted and challenged by His commands, especially during this season of the year (as the unfortunate norm is to be a little edgy, impatient, and exasperated with each other), to make a conscious effort to ENCOURAGE, NOT ONLY EACH OTHER, BUT ALL HOLIDAY WORKING STAFF!!!

Colossians 4:6 - "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person."

When you are buying your items, MAKE EYE CONTACT, and genuinely say "thank you" or what have you with the GOSPEL soaked in every word and expression! Look for opportunities to DEMONSTRATE PATIENCE AND COMPASSION with the workers, and the fellow shoppers who are entitled to just as much service as you! I know this may seem trivial...but the REALITY is these times are quintessential chances to permit God's sanctification in our lives, AND to be Christ's hands and feet in this community. If we refuse to incorporate this daily concept and practice into our lives NOW, why bother wasting our time sitting in class talking about how we're going to do it on a grander scale when we graduate?

Soapbox smashed. The end.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya girl, I went shopping on black friday in NEW ENGLAND, let me tell you, it was not a pretty sight. It made me sad and convicted too.

Anonymous said...

I worked retail all through college - including the entire holiday season. We had to work 12 hour shifts and it was often with only a 20 minute break. You try standing up for 12 hours straight. Eventually you just get stinking exhausted. You may hit a clerk on her first hour or her 12th hour. The worst was when someone did not show up so you were doing work for three people.

A woman came in and she was complaining left and right about shopping, the crowds, the person she was buying the present for and finally, me. She said, "I don't even like this person very much and I'm rather annoyed at buying them a present. What do you think I should get?" I said, "Ma'am, I do not want to be rude but if I knew someone was buying me a present and had this attitude, I wouldn't want it. Maybe you shouldn't buy her anything if it isn't something that brings you joy or is intended to bring her joy." She totally stared at me and walked out.

As with everything else in our life, God cares about our motives and attitudes. If you can not be salt and light in the mall on Christmas, maybe you should reassess your holiday gift list!

Lisa said...

First of all, I love the photo of the baby...it just makes me want to laugh. Sad thing is some adult shoppers actually perfect that face rather well.
Secondly, having also had plenty of time working in clothing retail- pleasant, patient customers were always a blessing to come across. Bethy, your comments bring back memories (and slight chills down my spine...smile).

Anonymous said...

The truly ironic thing is that even the most secular interpretation of Christmas involves something about "peace on earth" and "goodwill towards men," yet so many holiday shoppers display an utter hatred and curse their fellow man through their attitudes and comments in malls. As Christian shoppers/retail workers we have a great chance to be a picture of Christ in the midst of such harsh attitudes. May God give me the grace to be a faithful witness in the upcoming weeks.

J. C. Ashby said...

Wait a minute...

Josh Howell?

Is that you???

:)

Anonymous said...

yeah, I just thought I would pop in for a second :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

And there are still some folks out there who believe in the "basic goodness of mankind". HA! Black Friday is black in more ways than one. Total Depravity.

Anonymous said...

i can't get over the picture of the angry baby! ha ha. i'm going to visit your site at least once a day to get my daily dose of laughter. freaky little kid.

J. C. Ashby said...

LOL! Thanks, Christine... Actually, my roomie, Lisa, and I found that picture on flickr.com. They have some of the most hilarious pictures around...

The little boy that you babysit is absolutely PRECIOUS!!! What's his name? You'll have to bring him into the cafeteria more often... What a cutie!

J. C. Ashby said...

Feel free to pop by ANYTIME, Josh...

It's always a treat. :)

Anonymous said...

Ah! I thought it was one of your baby pictures Jen. (Ooooh, no I didn't) :0


BTW: Did you RSVP to the Unique Christmas Party? Today is the last day.

Anonymous said...

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"says the Lord. On the contrary:
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Romans 12


Man, I love that chapter.

J. C. Ashby said...

Mm...an EXCELLENT reminder.

Thanks, tmproff. :)