Saturday, November 26, 2005

...

OK, so I'm sick of coming to my blog and seeing the same thing posted for three weeks in a row. Thus:

This is meant to break up the monotony. :)

Thanksgiving this year was amazing. Probably one of the coolest things that happened was the conversation my brother, Eric, and I shared on the journey home. The Lord blessed us with two long hours of catching up and sharing His faithfulness with one another. Every time I hear about what God is teaching him, and how he's been growing in the Father's image, I have this funny mixture of intense humility and admiration. It really causes me to look closely at my own Walk, and thank God for all that He's done, while also understanding I have so far left to go.

The rest of the weekend was great: supper at G-ma's (we had ham 'cause G-pa hates turkey), I watched three movies I've been DYING to see (Pride & Prejudice, Batman Begins, and Madagascar), and it was just so refreshing to be among beloved family and friends. I can't wait to go home for Christmas.

I found out some news about my old crowd of friends back in the Haute, too. It was an interesting experience...and really made me realize how much the Lord uses time and circumstances to alter us (for the better). :) I can't express how grateful I am that God loves us enough to challenge our own expectations for the future, and takes liberty to alter those paths and courses for His glory. It may not seem like a pleasant experience at the time...

...but if you stay fixed at his feet while that small boat of your life is being tossed and beaten by the storm raging all around you; you come to realize that Jesus IS in that boat with you - in absolute control of the storm - and YOUR job is merely to be still and confident in His sovereign understanding. In fact, He often allows the storm, just to make sure you STAY in the boat...and contented at His feet.

Then, as our faith grows in His presence - despite the wind and waves - pretty soon: Jesus will become all that we can see.

And ain't that a BEAUTIFUL sight? :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed! Let me be the first to say "Thank You!" for finally posting. I was getting pretty annoyed at that freaky sunflower looking thing with human hands staring back at me.

On a more serious note: allow me to also be the first to post: Happy Thanksgiving Jen!!! I am glad that you had some edifying fellowship with your lil' bro. There's nothing like being with the fam to recharge our spiritual copper tops. I wish that I too could spend Thanksgiving with my fam. If only they weren't 875 light years away in Duk Duk planet near the Tum Tum galaxy.

J. C. Ashby said...

Awe...what a BUMMER! Poor Jose...

But WAIT! A ray of sunshine, a glimmer of hope:

Could it be?

YES!!!

Jose's lovely little sis, Beatriz, has arrived to pay him a long-awaited visit!

HOORAY!!! HOORAY!!!

Ah... So very much to be thankful for, eh? (That one's for YOU, Danielle...)

Anonymous said...

That's true. I did forget that minor detail. She's weary from traversing through all those wormholes and star-systems. As I write this she remains in cryogenic sleep to replenish all of her electrolytes.
Nevertheless, thank the Lord that she made here safely!

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad you got to go home. i was thinking about you ... wondering, hmm, do i need to track Jenn down and drag her off to a feast with me ... but then i realized ... i don't even know where you live or have your number. then i felt rotten.

how funny are the penguins in Madagascar? You need to see the new Wallace & Gromit movie. It has a short film at the beginning with the Penguins in it. Hilarious!!!

Anonymous said...

No way!!! You grew up in Terre Haute? I was born in Brazil and grew up in Reelsville until 8th grade when my family moved down south (Georgia). I went to South Putnam in Greencastle for a year. I'm so stoked to hear of someone from close to there!

Lisa said...

So glad you were able to go home for Thanksgiving! I am still holding out for the three of us to go see Walk the Line. I agree with Jose, it is good to see a new post...

J. C. Ashby said...

Wow! You all have been busy...

Christine: Thanks so much for the thoughts and prayers. :) If I had been here, I would have LOVED to spend Thanksgiving with you (and I'll have to get you my info soon).

lcp: NO WAY!!! I have some friends who live around Brazil (pronounced BRAE-ZILL for those not accustomed to Hoosier colloquialisms)... Have you ever gone back to visit the place? It doesn't change much. That's what makes it GREAT!

God's love all!

Anonymous said...

I love this post so much. It seems like when the storm comes, I want to prove myself so badly that I'm the first one to get up and try to fix the sails and grab the wheel when all I need to do is relax and find peace in my Jesus.

One a side note, I can't believe you were that excited about seeing Madagascar. I agree that the penguins were funny, but the rest of the characters disappointed me. I still can't believe they would put a chemical dependent giraffe and a lemur with homosexual tendencies in a children's movie.

Anonymous said...

Maybe one day, I'll learn to relax and type correctly too.

Lisa said...

Lemur with homosexual tendencies, eh? Wow... I may have to watch it again and see if I can catch that. I didn't remember that from the movie. Hm... I have younger siblings to think of, you know.

The penguins were funny - they were actually my favorite part of the film. That, and the fun disco/club song when they were rolling the credits ("I like to move-it, move-it...").