Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Does This Describe You?

So I heard on the radio the other day that January 23rd tends to be "the most depressing day of the year" (according to "them" - whoever "they" might be).




Apparently, by this time of the year, almost everyone has broken their New Year's resolution (almost all of us staff in the Cafeteria at school), the after-Christmas debt is starting to hit hard, and the lack of light is getting pretty old to most (ESPECIALLY Lisa McGary). With all of these factors, the average American gets to feeling pretty "down in the dumps."


Thus, don't think there's something seriously wrong with you if you happen to feel rather less-motivated, and more-cranky than usual. :) All the more reason for us to extend grace to each other, and comfort ourselves by cozing up to the hope that Scripture holds:

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to His great mercy, He has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in Heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, although for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith - more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire - may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ." ~ 1 Peter 1:3-7 ~

This passage was read at church this past Sunday, and I believe it to be a timely Word that the Lord has been using to grant me much-need "perspective check" in this, my more somber mood, as of late.



I'm looking forward to classes starting again, and the hope of Spring is very real. I'll look forward to seeing everyone's smiling faces in the cafeteria Monday morning. :)


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The lack of light can really take away my motivation and creativity at times. It is a good thing I love what I am learning at seminary.

Reading about David Brainerd is always an encouragment. He seemed to be depressed all the time and yet found much strength in Christ to persevere amongst the Indians.

Of course the truth in Scripture is the most edifying and uplifting.

It is always good to keep in mind how powerful words can be. Your words at the lunch like could totally change a persons day. I always try to be as encouraging as possible when people come swimming at the pool.

Thanks for the post! I am excited about classes as well.

Anonymous said...

I think Seasonal Affective Disorder hits hardest in those places where the snow doesn't stick around all winter.

J. C. Ashby said...

Check it out! There's an actual terminology assigned to this phenomena! Thanks, Guillaume... (I hope I spelled that right).

Thanks so much for the comments, you guys. :) It's a blessing getting to be at the same school w/ you all.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

it's funny ... i never suffered from it when i lived overseas ... but it was actually during the rainy season in northern California that i felt like i was going out of my mind ... begging my mother to send me to Hawaii for a week ... i JUST NEEDED SOME SUN!!!

they say that Denmark has one of the highest suicide rates ... i'm not surprised. plus, they hardly wear COLOR ... lots of blacks and dark neutrals ... NO WONDER they're depressed! not to mention the spiritual death that permeates the region! It's as if there's no hope!

Please pray for the people of northern Europe.

J. C. Ashby said...

AMEN!!! Thanks, Christine...

Anonymous said...

I was born in Puerto Rico and grew up in Florida. Every year around April when it starts to warm up I begin to feel this urge to drive out to the coast, ANY COAST!!! It's usually during this time of year that I truly feel landlocked living here in Louisville. Anyway, the Caribbean ROCKS!!!

J. C. Ashby said...

Lucky! The rest of us will have to DREAM of the Caribbean, in the meantime... :(

Lisa said...

I cannot wait for spring! It has been such a treat to have warm, bright days this week...a gift from the Lord during these last few crazy days.

Great post, Jen!

Anonymous said...

WOW! JENNIFER, YOU'RE HOTT! FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD, THAT PICTURE IS SMOKIN'! STOP IT, PLLLLLLLLLLEASE! Ya wanna know somethin' funny? I've never suffered from S.A.D. That makes me GLAD! Maybe it's because I take Prozac! LOL! I'm being serious. I'm sorry your sick, my little moo-moo! If you were home, I'd bundle you up in your butter blankey like a hott sausage and send you to bed with some warm milk! Well, until I see your LOVELY face again, don't throw up too much and have FUN @ college!

J. C. Ashby said...

Ladies and Gentleman:

My little sister...

Laurie Beth.

(Thanks, LB - I wish you were here to take care of me, too. I'm not throwing up, though - just a fever; but it's MUCH better...).

KISSES!!!