Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Surprise Contact: "NO WAY!"



The COOLEST thing happened to me today...

(DISCLAIMER: This may be useless info for some readers, so please pardon this personal and zealous post. I'll try to think of something more controversial or contemplative later. Right now, I'm overcome with nostalgia...)

So I'm checking thru my e-mail as usual, and I have this message waiting for me on my sister blog-site from some girl named "Ashley," of whom I haven't a clue (I don't recognize her from her picture).

So I go to my blog, read this girl's message, and she says that she wanted to know if I'm from "Terre Haute, Indiana." Apparently (according to her message), she says I "look familiar."

Well, I don't give this a second thought, but out of cordiality, I decide to write her back and give her a brief autobio: "Oh, yeah... I grew up there... Graduated from South... Went to ISU... yadda-yadda-yadda." I even told her about my six-year stint at the local Cracker Barrel, in which I hosted more tables than I care to recall. :)

So, the next day, I'm checking my e-mail again, and this "Ashley" girl replied to my reply. She says that she "spent part of her childhood in Terre Haute," and that she "had a best friend named JENNIFER WOJAK that she played with all the time until her parents divorced, and she moved to Evansville."

At this point, my jaw hits the floor.

NO WAY!!! ASHLEY ADAMS!?! MY LONG-LOST, I-HAVEN'T-THOUGHT-ABOUT-YOU-IN-SO-LONG, LONG-LONG-LONG-LONG LOST FRIEND!?!

Please, understand: I have not spoken to this girl since the 3rd grade! As a matter of fact, I can still remember when she first told me her parents were splitting up, and that she and her brother were moving away with her mom. We cried and cried because we thought we'd never see each other again...

Will reunion wonders never cease? Could I possibly count all the memories that have come rushing back to tease me? Will Ashley and I ever be able to catch up on the past 17 years? I guess only time will tell...

In the meantime, don't you EVER let people tell you that Blogging doesn't bring people together! EVER! EVER-EVER!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, my not-as-long-lost-friend.

I agree that blogs create a new community of those we might never have otherwise seen again, but still hold dear in our hearts.

Robin

Anonymous said...

Blogs: the next generation's gateway to the past.

HM.. I like the way that sounds.

Anonymous said...

Be careful of what type of information you post on these things. Remember that this is open for all eyes to see.