Monday, December 12, 2005

We'll Miss You, J-Man!


I remember first meeting Jonathan Hodges in the TV room of Mullin's Hall back in late January or early February of this year. I had seen him occasionally around campus and with other groups of people, because he obviously knew Jiri and Casey Prochazka very well (both good friends of mine, too). We were all scheduled to study together after I returned home from work (laboring at the Cracker Barrel at the time), and at this particular instance, Jonathan and I were craving coffee, and asked if anyone else was suffering from the same ailment.

Well, our studious friends declined, but Jonathan and I weren't about to allow there disloyalty to java disrupt our caffeine longings. So we jumped in the car, sped off to Starbucks (it was the only place open that late), and hit it off as if we were fraternal twins separated at birth.

It's been almost a year since that initial encounter, and since that time, Mr. Hodges has become like a brother to me in so many ways. This past year has been "eventful" (to say the least), but he's always been one I could count on to be there when a friendly heart, and a sensitive ear, was needed. Whether it was grieving the loss of a cherished loved one late at night on the Jo-Bowl lawn, or passing around pep talks from the backseat of his car while speeding off to weddings and/or Wal-Mart (Jose, you were there BOTH times, remember?); I've had the honor of sharing this past year's occurrences with a good friend. There have been many times in which (I'm sure) we've driven each other crazy (as siblings often do), but it's been such a blessing having the privilege to know and spend time with him - listening to his thoughts, contemplating visions for the future, and - especially - appreciating how the Lord has grown and molded him in Christ's image.

Jonathan, we love you. We hate to see you go (we'll miss you like nuts), but know that our best wishes, prayers, and hopes go with you as you set out from this: your family community. As you take the light of Truth to those who yet dwell in the darkness of unnecessary Lies, remember you are taking with you the love of Christ that He has shown us all here; as well as all the knowledge He has graciously bestowed upon you at this fine institution. The Lord God goes before you to mark His path for you to follow, with you as your faithful Companion, and after you to cover your footsteps with His Sovereignty. Trust Him fully and deeply, always adopting the attitude of faith-filled anticipation:

"I can't wait to see what the Lord is going to do with THIS?!"

God bless you... And if you don't keep in touch with each and every one of us: Don't think we won't hunt you down like the lost, little puppy we cherish (and LOVE to tease...)!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Well written Jen! I would cry my eyes out if I had tearducts (I had them surgically removed to protect my machismo):)
On a serious note, I echo your sentiments on the departure of our dear friend towards a life in the service of the Lord. I too became good friends with him during this past year. Each of us shared burdens and helped to keep one another accountable in many areas of our walk with Christ. I've learned many things from him and I hope that I was equally edifying to him as a brother in Christ. I will miss him very much and am grateful to you Jen for having taken the initiative to write the first words of appreciation for our dear friend Jonathan Hodges!

Anonymous said...

P.S. Referring to J-Man as a "Puppy" may not be the most reassuring thing to say to a man about to enter into full-time ministry.:)

J. C. Ashby said...

LOL! Oh, Jose... You think?

Ah, well... It's just a metaphor. He'll learn to deal w/ it.

By the way...

GET A BLOG!!!

Anonymous said...

NO WAY JENNAY!!! Ain't got time and I ain't got money (not that you need money for a blog, but it was the only thing that went well with it.)!!!

Anonymous said...

man you guys are nice!

1. This sounds like a farewell memory sharing time at a funeral

2. Did I drive you crazy sometimes, Jenny? I didn't realize it, and I apologize. You never got on my nerves, though :)

3. Remember when we went for that walk late at night and talked about so much going on in life? I'm glad that we had times like that where we could share, and I could be like a brother, and i appreciate you opening up and sharing about what was going on in your heart.

4. It was encouraging to see the way you turned your heart to God and cried to Him during your time of loss. It takes a strong person to say good-bye to a beloved family member.

I appreciate you taking the time to bid me farewell. That means a lot to me. Take care! I'll miss you all!! And Jose, yes you were very encouraging/edifying to me in our friendship, and I'm really thankful for you (and Adam) as well.

GOOD BYE EVERYONE!!!

J. C. Ashby said...

Never good-bye, Jonathan...

Just "Catch you later!"

Have fun in Athens!