Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Praying for the "Faceless Groom"



I was never really introduced to Jack Johnson before I borrowed my good friend's (Josh Howell) car to drive and see one of my closest friends (Sandy) over in Peoria, IL. I had heard some of Johnson's music over the radio every now and again, but wasn't exactly "swept away" by the sound. However, after listening to the entire CD five or six times throughout my trek into Illinois, I can now confess he's got to be one of my absolute favorites: lyrically, musically...even down to the sound of his voice!

So what does that have to do with praying for your future spouse? I just recently bought "In Between Dreams" when it was on sale at Borders, and I'm noticing that several of the themes on the album have to do with being in a relationship, leaving a relationship, or forming a relationship.

Even just this month (let alone this entire semester), I have heard the news of tons of new couples, engagements, and weddings. Being a full-blooded female, of course, I think this to be absolutely precious; and I coo and "awe" with the telling of each romantic story, and get tickled as the girls and guys alike describe their wedding plans and future visions. Moreover, I am pierced by the tender provision and wisdom of God in each and every circumstance; not to mention humbled by the privilege of being able to "rejoice with those who rejoice" (Rom. 12:15).



Thus, as we seek to contentedly nestle ourselves in God's will as each day passes, God reminds me to give thanks for each stage in life (in this case, whether single or "taken"); yet faithfully and joyously pray for my future spouse. Since coming to Southern, the Lord has definitely educated me in the area of what to look for in a man of God (based upon the Lord's own expectations), but I think the greater lesson has been understanding and appreciating the kind of WOMAN God wants ME to be. I'm DEFINITELY not the same person I once was (THANK GOD!); and I think that it's quite possible that part of this has to do with the unknown prayers my future husband has supplicated on my behalf.

Whether married or a maid (and guys I speak to you, too), our ultimate goal is to glorify the Lord our God, and be absolutely delighted in Him "hands-down/no contest." And for those (like myself) who do desire to be wed someday, don't be ashamed of your longings - take EVERY OPPORTUNITY to pray for a future spouse. Yet, let us keep in mind, life is HERE and NOW: enjoy the anticipation of tomorrow, and don't let it distract you from God's gifts TODAY.

THIS is my prayer for my "faceless groom." :)



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES! THANK YOU!!! Someone else speaks out! You're the greatest, Jenn!

J. C. Ashby said...

Hey, Christine! It's good to see your face. And YOU happen to rock my world, as well... :)

Just so you know, we're still having a Christmas party at our apt. this coming weekend (if you haven't headed down to Georgia yet).

It's Saturday evening at 5 pm until whenever. We'd LOVE to see you if you could come.

That invite goes out to whomever else might happen to traverse across this page as well.

Much love, my elegant Sis in Christ. Hope we get to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

oh poo! we're heading down on Friday or Saturday morning. i wish i could be there.

(do elegant sis's in Christ say "oh poo!"?)

J. C. Ashby said...

They most certainly DO! :)

Have fun on your Christmas vacation. Eat some fruit cake (or worthy calorie-dense substitute) for me!

Anonymous said...

Whether married or a maid (and guys I speak to you, too)

Ummmm, random and admittedly very silly question : Can a guy be considered a maid?

Seriously, though, good post.

J. C. Ashby said...

Good point...

A confirmed "bachelor," maybe; but no maid.

:)

Anonymous said...

Good post, Jen... the Lord has been teaching us so much about walking in obedience and seeking His will about so many areas of our lives, hasn't He? This post is a testimony to what He has been teaching you.. and the rest of us are encouraged by it.

I am praying for your faceless groom as well, Jen, and Lisa's as well -- if the Lord sees fit to sanctify you both in marriage rather than singleness. Let's keep committing to lift each other up in prayer as we learn to delight in the Lord alone and -Lord willing -saving ourselves for our faceless grooms. That is, until we meet our one true bridegroom - Jesus Christ.

Come, Lord Jesus!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jennifer! I just stumbled onto your blog, and almost didn't recognize you! Ken and I were youth pastors at Terre Haute when you were still in high school. I'm so glad to see the beautiful things God is doing in you and through you!

--Robin Jewett

J. C. Ashby said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! ROBIN!!!

Of COURSE, I remember you... How ARE you guys? WHERE are you guys? This is so cool b/c I was literally just thinking about you both the other day: wondering what had happened to you, where you guys were located, what the Lord has been doing since I last saw you...

SO much has happened since we saw you last...

PLEASE send me an e-mail (jennobabe@hotmail.com) and give me your contact info so we can get in touch. I'd LOVE to talk with you...

God bless, and I can't BELIEVE you found my blog! I am so psyched...

Anonymous said...

I think marriage is overrated...

Anonymous said...

Jennifer! I was just checking up on you because I've been thinking about you lately. I really need to call you and I heard you'd be in town so we HAVE to get together. It's been way too long. You scared me for a second when I first opened your blog to see a wedding photo. I thought- Has it been THAT long? :) phew. I said to myself, Look at that long hair! You've finally done it- after years of trying to pass me up. Also note that Chris has longer hair as well. You win. I'll talk to you soon I hope. I love and miss you. I'm praying for you as well! :)

Anonymous said...

Good points.

And I agree -- Jack Johnson grows on you. Great stuff.

Anonymous said...

JEN!! It's time for a new post -- I'll post if YOU post, deal?

:p