Monday, July 24, 2006

The Great Outdoors

There has always been something about the outdoors that has never failed to entice and romance my soul. Ever since being a young girl, I could never get enough of playing outside: having the entire neighborhood at my fingertips; rummaging around the "hidden wood" (the one my mother always warned me not to go into); and catching fireflies after dark. If there's one thing the summer air never fails to accomplish...it's draw me - captivated - out into the awaiting wilderness.

So! What did Jennifer get to do this past Monday?

Hike her tail off!


After much anticipation, my fellow comrades (Emily, Nick, Ruthann, and Tony) and I journeyed southward to the great "unknown" referred to as: Cumberland Gap National Forrest. Accompanied only by a stuffed cooler, a bag of KFC Original Recipe, Delirious' Mission Bell, and T's infamous camera; our crew launched this long-awaited adventure at 8 am...until 4:30 am the next day (I told you we were "hard-core"...or maybe just really slow). Here are some of my favorite moments from the memorable jaunt:
















































The longest trek of the day proved a grueling 8-mile quest through dense and steep wood, darkly named: Dog Slaughter Falls (don't ask me, I won't know). Sight-seeing and cataloguing rare wildlife might have slowed us up a smidge, but after what seemed like hours of trudging through abandoned rainforest...our perseverance was WELL rewarded.













However, I must confess: the highlight of the evening would have to have been our evening of reflection perched on a hidden boulder past the Cumberland Falls. With gallons of water rushing in the background, and a shroud of stars - like I have never experienced - cloaking the night sky, the only thought that would come to mind was:

God.

How can there be room for anything else?

I hope these pictures inspire you all to "run outside and play." To my fellow "pirates": I love you all and have cherished this experience more than one blog can express. We will be doing this again.

Grand Canyon, anyone?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet - how fun! :) Did you all see the moonbow? it's the big attraction at Cumberland Falls - you can actually see a rainbow at night next to the falls... it only happens at certain times of the year on a full moon or something. Okay, now it's starting to sound like I'm making this up. :) Glad you had fun, dearie - love you, and see you soon!

J. C. Ashby said...

No, we didn't get to see the moonbow. :( I was rather bummed out about it, but there wasn't a full moon (or any mooon, for that matter). Oh, well...maybe next time.

BTW, so when is our other little crew getting together for a night of pow-wowing and camping at Red River Gorge? You guys game? :)

I love you, oodles - my honey bunches of oats! Talke to you soon...

Lisa said...

I second that motion! When ARE we going camping?! Beauuteeful photos, Jen...it almosts makes me feel like I was there.

Moonbow, D? Ahuh, yeah. Did you see little purple unicorns, too? ;)

Love you, girls! Let's get camping...quick, before I am in the air.

Anonymous said...

Jen,

It really was a blast. I'm glad we all got to spend the time together. We certainly learned much about the Lord, each other, and His precious gospel. For all of these things I am truly grateful.

The Lord has blessed us all by growing us in his grace through community. Yes...that means you too Lisa, Donna, and Jason. I love you all.

And no Donna. It doesn't sound you're making things up about the moonbow. Another random fact...there is only one other moonbow in the world...Victoria Falls in Africa.

Grace and peace,
Tony

Anonymous said...

Ah ... I totally missed out! We'll have to think up some place splendid to go in November!

Anonymous said...

I am quite jealous, I haven't been camping in AGES!

Beautiful pictures, that must've been some hike!

Anonymous said...

I know - we NEED to go camping. We were discussing it last Sunday... Beth and Carrie are game, and I'm sure their husbands/soon-to-be husbands would love to go as well. We need to coordinate schedules, people!